Author Topic: You can't Take pagan rituals and clean them up and call it Christian  (Read 4991 times)

the deadly 7

Job 14:4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? Not one.

1. Exodus Ch. 32.
2. 2 Chronicles 11:13-23
3. The Book of Jeremiah
4. Revelation Ch. 2 and 3

1. Moses leads the people out of Egypt. Ten days later, he goes up to Mount Sinai and receives the Law. What do the people do in his absense? They get scared and demand from Aaron (Moses brother) that he make a pagan idol to protect them. When Moses returns to the people, how does God react, He kills those that turned from Him to the golden calf. For the naysayers that say, "Oh, but that was a specific event only relevent to Moses". If so, why was it important enough for the story to be retold in Acts 7:30-41?

2. After God split Israel into two because Soloman's interest in pagan women (1 Kings 11 Ch.), the Levites (priesthood) fled Northern Israel for Jerusalem because King Jeroboam allowed pagan idolatry to spread.

3. This thread has placed alot of focus on Jeremiah. One more time, Jeremiah was a prophet of doom. He repeatedly says that becasue the Jews had allowed paganism to creep in that God was going to destroy them for it and lead them into captivity. He did!

4. John reprimands the seven church's of Asia for mixing the Truth of Christ with the lie of paganism.

To the few, and I do mean few that see the tree as a symbol of the everlasting life of Christ, ok, I can accept that. At some point in your life, if the Holy Spirit is within you, you are going to come to the revelation that you no longer need the training wheels.

To the vast majority of the world, the tree represents something entirely different.

No one is going to get an arguement from me saying they should not do Christmas. It was a pagan festival in the ancient world, it is a pagan festival of glorifying self today.

Pagans are suppose to do it!

Taking pagan rituals and cleaning them up and calling them christian does not work in alleviating confusion amongst the general population. The general population doesn't want to hear about denying self, they want to fulfill self.

So what value is not doing the christmas tree?

For me, the tree symbolizes a cross for me to die on. Six years ago when I stopped doing christmas, I asked each family member and close friend what christmas meant to them. The survey was astonishing to me. Christ was not number one. Most of those in survey are no longer a part of my life. But it's not just my little unscientific survey, it is the culture. You are not going to hear commerical media proclaiming the christ symbolism that you stated. If Wal-Mart came out with a "Christ hung on wood similar to this christmas tree" display, would that sell more HDTV's?